Sunday, February 5, 2012

Generous Couponing

As you begin to coupon, you might encounter times when something is free but you don't really think you will use it.  When I first started several years ago, I passed those items up.  Just couponing itself was hard enough for me to keep up with and do well and I wasn't interested in getting things I really didn't need. 

Over time though I've realized that it doesn't take much time for me to stock up on those items and give them away.  One of the wonderful things about couponing is being generous with your deals and sharing them with others.  I do have a stockpile, not near what you see those crazed woman on Extreme Couponing have, but one nonetheless.  My biggest one is the toiletries.  I have boxes stored under my bed, much to my husband's dismay (he says that beds are not for storage - sorry Sweetie!).  Almost once a month I love to share some of my deals with others.  Single moms.  Families in financial need.  Food pantries.  Friends for their birthday or just to show appreciation to someone.  I know it sounds like a weird gift but it always seems well received.  Who wouldn't want a huge bag filled with personal items that we all use?

So as you get the hang of it, grab the freebies and think of someone you could bless it with.  Can't use a $30 blood glucose monitor?  Give it to a diabetic friend.  Got a curling iron, but don't ever use one?  Pass it to your sister who goes through one a year.  Have 10 bottles of shampoo already?  Then grab them anyway and donate to a friend who is struggling to make ends meet.  Use your fun in couponing to be generous and bless others.  You'll be glad you made the extra effort!

1 comment:

  1. Good idea and good thinking! Our church has the best food pantry I have ever seen. I don't know how many people they feed per week. It is wonderful, like a mini-grocery. One of the members is a cattle rancher and he periodically donates a freezer of beef. Ever notice how once generosity starts flowing it becomes a tidal wave?

    What I do is buy stuff by the cases, as most large families do, and purchase extra cases to take to the food pantry. I try to buy the expensive stuff like shortening, sugar, peanut butter, etc., because people shy away from donating those items. When my husband was unemployed for 28 months, the church was so good to us and brought us groceries more times than I can count. It still brings tears to remember the people who voluntarily reached out to help us. I promised myself then that I would be sure and give back once we were working again. I also had the opportunity to notice what was not in the boxes, or rarely there, and that is why I buy like I do. You'd be surprised at how many people give out of date food items, etc. I know they mean well and probably don't even notice the date, but having been on the receiving end, I noticed. I really think God brought that to my attention so I would know how to give.

    Your idea is certainly a good one also.

    Thanks for posting!

    Melanie Keffer

    ReplyDelete