I seem to always be about tweaking our grocery budget and the way that I grocery shop. I wish I could tell you that I have arrived with the perfect plan for my family that works every month, but it's just not true. To be honest, I have struggled with staying within our budge for years and years. It highly frustrates me and I feel ashamed to burden my husband in this way because I feel that he is generous with our budget for groceries. I don't splurge on luxuries. We don't eat out any more. I don't blow it on myself. I'm not frivolous. It just is hard to keep things under budget.
I have had a Sam's card before and tried to purchase all of our grocery needs for the month at one time. I learned after a few months that that just didn't work for us. Fresh produce can't be bought once a month and I was sucked into the "good" deals at Sam's and wouldn't stick to my list only. I always spent more than I planned on.
I just bought another Sam's membership in January. I have been there 3 times in the last 2 months. So far, so good. My plan is to check their web site for prices, keep a strict price list that I stick to and set goals for myself as to how much to spend in Sam's. What I have loved is when I have figured out prices per ounce as compared to Aldi or my coupon attempts, Sam's comes out really well. For my large crew, it's nice to buy in bulk and not have to shop so often. I think and hope it will save me in the long run.
As for the barrels you see in the photo, 2 years ago I started buying dry bulk foods from my bread making coop. I buy wheat by the bulk to make into flour for making bread. I have added gallon buckets of lima beans, brown rice, millet and other things like that plus huge buckets of rolled oats and popcorn kernels. Buying these types of products in bulk means I always have them on hand and it aids me in my attempts to feed my family healthy, hearty meals.
So does buying in bulk work for you?
No comments:
Post a Comment