Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sunday Suppers

 I grew up with a family tradition involving Sunday night meals.  Mom always had a super, delicious, Sunday, post-church meal, but Sunday nights were her night off for cooking.  My grandparents declared that Sunday night supper was ice cream and popcorn.  Growing up, we LOVED that, especially when the ice cream was usually homemade coffee or mint chocolate chip!!  My mom, who was more health-conscious, dropped the ice cream part (much to our dismay) and usually spread the counter with finger foods, including popcorn.  There was usually a fun array of foods to choose from.

I like this tradition and have carried it over into feeding the Fish Sticks.  Sometimes I'll do something special like homemade prezels or homemade caramel corn when lunch involved little cooking.  For Super Bowl Sunday, I decided to try the ultimate finger food buffet with a healthy hint.  It got rave reviews from all Fish Sticks.
Hummus with sugar snap peas, celery, avocado and carrots

Veggie Straws, cheese sticks and a platter of almonds, pecans and walnuts

black olives, green olives, a bowl of dried apricots, prunes and Craisins and a platter of pear and orange slices beautifully arranged by one of the more artistic Fish Sticks

Before you panic over fixing supper when you haven't thawed the meat or planned the meal, check your pantry and try a finger food buffet...especially on Sunday nights.  Every mama needs a rest occasionally.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Friday nights are my rest night and also family fun night. I come up with "fun" foods for us also, though I gladly confess that olives and hummus are not on the menu - ha! But I enjoy thinking of fun stuff and trying new things that everybody will enjoy. Sunday was my mother's rest day and we had the traditional popcorn popped by my dad, with slices of cheddar cheese on the side. To this day I have never tasted any popcorn like his homemade, made in the same 50 year old pot (It is way older than that now.) My dad's popcorn so impressed my husband after we married that he worked and worked to recreate the taste. He gets close but there is still no sub for the original, if you know what I mean.

    On very special occasions, after the popcorn, Daddy would make up a batch of his homemade fudge . . . loaded with peanut butter and black walnuts (He never followed recipes so no one could copy it.) or homemade tapioca pudding. (I never see anybody make the homemade pudding anymore.) That was such a special treat for us.

    Daddy is gone now, and my mother lives alone so she only cooks when she wants to, or is making food for someone else.

    This post reminded me of those long ago Sunday nights after church. God bless you Cassie.

    Melanie Keffer

    ReplyDelete