I grew up during my elementary school years in a town outside of New Orleans. February was always filled with going to Saturday and Sunday small-town parades to celebrate the upcoming Mardi Gras. I have wonderful memories of screaming, "Throw me something, Mister!" and coming home to sort, count and compare my parade loot with my sister.
About 3 years ago, I decided that we would begin the Lent Season by celebrating Fat Tuesday with a King Cake - just like I had as a child. I got my favorite cinnamon roll recipe and shaped it into a circle. I finished the top with icing and colored sugar - purple, yellow and green - the colors of Mardi Gras. I found a plastic baby to hide in the cake and have created a family tradition.
The Fish Sticks love it and can't wait to dig in and see who has the baby.
Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday and we will begin our family Lent devotions. I am so excited and really love to be daily reminded of the life of Jesus here on earth that leads up to His resurrection. Later I'll show you what we do and would love to hear if you do anything with your family.
No comments:
Post a Comment