Did anyone shop for the Walgreens freebies this week? The Iron supplement, aspirin and eye drops were all free after you receive your Register Rewards (RR) and no coupon was necessary. What a good week to start. The Alka Seltzer came to 74 cents each after RR so my total before tax for these items was $2.96!!
This is what I got at CVS and I'm gonna share a little secret with you so lean in closely.
The 2 Pantene products were $1.48. Not totally cheap but a good price if you like Pantene. The Tom's toothpaste came to 99 cents after Extra Care Bucks (ECB) and the 3 greeting cards were free because I chose only cards that were 99 cents.
The deal on John Frieda products was this: you could get $5 ECB if you purchased $15 worth of John Frieda products. The only coupon available was for the Precision Foam Colour. I have never colored my hair and don't have plans to anytime soon so you might think this deal wouldn't be one I was interested in. I have found though that many coupons that claim they are product specific can actually be used for another product of the same name brand. The shampoo, conditioners and stylers were $5 each. The foam colour was $12. I purchased 3 shampoos/conditioners (and even ventured out to try the one that said it would lighten my hair with highlights...we'll see) spending $15. I got $5 ECB, taking my total to $10 and decided to try 3 coupons for the foam colour that were $3 off each. They rang up at the register with no problem and so I got all 3 John Frieda products for $1 total!!
Worst case scenario is that the coupon won't go through and you can just tell the cashier to take the items off. So far, it hasn't happened to me. Try it!
Okay, you're getting me inspired again . . . Although, I don't think I will swipe my neighbor's newspapers . . . Tell me you don't really do that. :)
ReplyDelete$20.00 worth of Alka-Seltzer for less than $5.00 is smart in anyone's book, if you use it. I'm not a whole lot into stock-piling things we don't use because it goes to waste and then cheap or not, that is wasted money, resources.
However, there are a lot of things we could use different brands and do use, and like I said, the whole thing is fun. My daughter in college in Virginia loves to go to an upscale grocery store in her area and get the same kinds of deals.
I had not thought of doing what you mentioned about the coupons exactly the way you mention it, but I have noticed that some coupons advertise one product but the fine print will say any product of the same brand.
Anyway, thanks for sharing. I'm enjoying following your blog. I laughed about what you served your friend for lunch in an earlier post . . . She must be a REAL good friend, is all I can say. Ha, ha. By the way, do your or your family like homemade pot pies? My kids love those and they are great for using leftovers. Making the pie crusts take nearly nothing, as you know, and then you can use any combination of things for the filling. Pot pies are a good way to use up leftover vegetables. I also use leftover beef with either rice or potatoes or pasta, make a gravy sauce and combine - something like a homemade version of Hamburger Helper. Put some vegetables on the side, a pitcher of sweet tea, and there you have another hot lunch. Throw a little homemade gravy with any leftover beef, and the possibilities are endless.
Melanie Keffer