Sunday, February 26, 2012

POPCORN!


 We love popcorn in the Fish House.  I love popcorn because when it's purchased like this....well, it's just plain ole cheap!  I got a 50 pound bag of it at Sam's for $21.38.  I think (but don't quote me on this) that the bag even said organic.  (WHOA!)

Just this past week I got an email newsletter from TEACH Magazine with a recipe for Microwave Kettle Corn.

I gave it a try - 4 times.  I had to tweek the recipe some and wanted to give you the "Fish House conclusion" to it.

If you want a single serving of popcorn, this is the way to go.  If you are feeding 6 hungry kids, fast forward to the end of this post for my other recipes. 

Stir together 2 TB. kernels, 2 tsp. oil, 1 TB sugar and a dash of salt.
Cover with vented microwave splatter lid.  Microwave on high until kernels slow down considerably.  I set mine to 5 minutes and it almost took the entire time.  
Here's the finished product.
You can also pour the mixture into a brown lunch sack.  Fold the sack over 1" twice and set on a microwavable plate.  If you do this method, it took about 1 minute 5 seconds to pop completely.  It did make the bag so greasy with the oil that I then put it in a bowl for the Fish Sticks.

I quit buying the bagged microwave popcorn after I saw a news show on Popcorn Cancer that is caused from the butter flavoring used in the microwavable popcorn (even though it is yummy and convenient).  Another reason is that when we eat popcorn while watching a movie, we could easily eat 4 bags.  That just didn't seem to fit my budget.

Here's 2 of our favorite recipes, taken again from TEACH Magazine and found in this cookbook.

Kettle Corn
1/2 cup popcorn kernels, unpopped
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 TB granulated sugar
dash of salt

Heat oil in heavy pan over med-high heat with 1 kernel.  When kernel pops, add rest of kernels, sprinkling with salt and sugar.  Put lid on pan and shake constantly over burner.  When popping has slowed considerably, remove from burner and pour into large popcorn bowl.

Last year the following was a great recipe to make before heading to pick up the Fish Sticks at school when we were heading to a baseball game straight from school.  The "problem" for the Fish Sticks was when everyone else on the bleachers realized what a great snack it was.  :)

Microwave Caramel Corn
3/4 cup unpopped popcorn
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

Pop popcorn (I use about 1/3 cup of oil to do that) and place in a large, paper grocery sack.  Microwave the sugar, butter, and syrup on high for 4 minutes.  Stir in the baking soda and salt and pour in bag over popcorn  Fold the top of the bag over a couple of times.  Microwave for 1 minutes.  Take it out, shake it up.  Repeat.  Microwave again for 30 seconds and shake bag.  Repeat that.  Spread out on cookie sheet to cool (or if you're like me, throw the bag in the car and it will be cooled by the time the kids fight over it).
NOTE:  This cooks a total of 3 minutes and you will shake it 4 times.  Just remember 1 minute the first 2 times and 30 seconds the last 2 times.

Let me know if you try them!


No comments:

Post a Comment