Sunday, March 4, 2012

Homemade Vanilla Extract

I went to the liquor store last week and bought a big bottle of Vodka, a half gallon to be exact.  Not because I'm a big party girl.  It's because I'm a big baker.  Yep.  I read on one of the many blogs that I read that I can make vanilla extract homemade for a fraction of the cost.  I go through vanilla really fast.  To make it for 50 cents an ounce instead of $2.50 an ounce really appealed to me.

I ordered Madagascar vanilla beans off of Amazon for 50 cents a bean (came in a pack of 54 beans = $27).  The Vodka was $15.  I put 750 ml (about half the bottle) of Vodka in a quart jar, cut each bean lengthwise and added 12 beans.  I will keep it in a cool, dark place and shake occasionally for 3 months.  Strain and voila!  According to the internet, the taste is superior to store bought.  The beans smell wonderful.  That makes a quart of vanilla extract only $13.50!!!!

If you live local and want to try, I'd be happy to give you some of my beans (seeing as I have a lifetime supply) for what I paid for them so you can try too.

Can't wait to try it in 3 months.


2 comments:

  1. Okay, I totally want to find out how this turns out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a story to tell you about this, but best not post it in public!!!!

    ReplyDelete