Saturday, March 3, 2012

Amish Friendship Bread

Have you ever had an Amish Friendship Bread starter?  I think I got my first one from a friend while living overseas.  It's such yummy bread - kind of more in the cake category than bread.  Not exactly healthy but still very yummy.

I've got my starter going again and every 10 days we bake 2 loaves of it.  I vary the flavor and so far have made plain vanilla and chocolate with chocolate chip.  It makes the perfect snack for the Fish Sticks and sometimes even a good bread for breakfast.  Can't be any worse than a doughnut or sugar cereal, right? :)

So here's the deal.  Tomorrow is my baking day.  I will have 3 starters to give away.  They are very low maintenance.  You just squeeze the bag daily, add 3 ingredients on Day 6 and bake on Day 10.  I have been throwing most of my extra starters away, but if you are so inclined and you go to church with me or our kids attend the same school, comment quickly and I will give you a starter on Sunday or Monday.  First come, first serve.  I might have no takers and if that is the case, no big deal.  If you want one later (like in 10 days) then just tell me that too and I can save one for you.  Otherwise, I will just throw my extra 3 starters in the trash and keep just one going.

I wish I had a photo of the yummy bread to tempt you to be a taker, but that would have to wait until after church tomorrow.  So don't judge the bread on the ziploc bag above.  Close your eyes and envision a steaming hot, sweet bread straight out of the oven being gobbled down in 10 minutes by your anxious children.  Now...want some?

No comments:

Post a Comment