I've posted several times to get you started on using coupons to save your family money buying from Walgreens and CVS.
After "mastering" the pharmacy stores, I ventured out to coupon at the grocery store. The situations that happen on the tv for "Extreme Couponing" are just not realistic, in my opinion. From what I hear, the stores have seen the series and have cracked down considerably on their coupon policies to prevent people from buying $1,000 of groceries and paying 50 cents for it.
My issue with couponing the grocery stores is often times I sacrifice nutrition in order to save a buck. Occasionally it may be worth it to me to purchase some processed snack I would normally never purchase just because it cost me pennies to buy. It serves as a special treat to the Fish Sticks and is just occasional. I do look at my favorite coupon website each week to see what deals I can snag at Kroger and Publix but on most weeks, I pass. To get a pack of 4 flavored yogurts for 50 cents with coupons just doesn't seem worth it when I have 6 kids and make natural, Greek-style yogurt by the half gallon in my crock pot almost weekly and only pay for the half gallon of milk (which cost me $1.50). It lasts much longer and is much better for them with a spoonful of raw, local honey on it or mixed with a smoothie. If I can get cereal for $1 a box, then it's worth my trip. Oftentimes I can find toiletry items or paper goods that are worth the effort to coupon at the grocery store.
So if your family enjoys packaged foods more than mine does, couponing the grocery stores is something that would be worth checking into. If you try to shy away from those things as much as possible, don't steer clear altogether, just skim the deals weekly to see what your family might benefit from.
As I catch deals at the grocery, I will be sure and share them in time for you to grab them too.
No comments:
Post a Comment