Years ago when I began my love affair with my crock pot, I quickly learned that the recipes that called for rice turned out pretty gooey and yucky.
As you know, I have been cooking in my crock pot for this month from Fix-It and Forget-It cookbook. They have been great meals and it's been so nice to throw them together early in the day and avoid the pre-supper rushing around during homework time.
Tonight my recipe was a chicken rice with broccoli. I decided to switch the recipe up a bit and actually cook the rice in the broth with the chicken instead of adding cooked rice like the recipe said. I kept an eye on it for 2 hours on low and then added the other ingredients according to the recipe.
I'd love to tell you that all was wonderful with fluffy, white rice instead of mush, but as you can see in the photo, we had some mush. I even had a Fish Stick call it gooey, another one mushy and another one soggy. *SIGH*
So my idea didn't exactly cure the rice in the crock pot problem. I will say that it was less mushy than it would have been if I had followed the recipe and I will also add that it still tasted pretty good.
So there's my warning if you have never used rice in your crock pot. DON'T! The only remedy that might work is to add the cooked rice in the last hour on LOW. I just might give it a try and let you know how it goes.
And BTW, I worked on my meal plan for April - just getting a week ahead of myself - and I can't wait to share some great information that you will LOVE if you like having a meal plan but don't have the time or desire to work on one. I'll try to give you time too to plan it for April yourself. I bet you'll love it as much as I do!
My Singapore rice packets say to put dried rice, water, raw chicken, spices, etc in the rice cooker. It steams it right up, always fully cooked. I am always shocked! Have you tried this?
ReplyDeleteI have never done that. Yikes - that would make me nervous but if it has worked for you, I might try it. So the chicken and rice cook completely together at the same time and they come out fine?
ReplyDelete