In elementary school, I had a boy in my class named Zach. Zach's family did meal planning the old fashioned way. They had the same dish based on the day of the week. Zach used to holler out in the bus, "Yeah! It's Monday. We get spaghetti.!" or "Yippee - Friday is pizza day." At the time I thought how boring to have the same ole meals every day of the week. My Mom was an adventurous cook and tried new dishes half of the days of the week. As a mom though, I can see the simplicity in doing things like that, although I still don't think it's the way for me. I have had friends who use the days of the week for themes in their meal planning. Italian on Mondays, Mexican on Tuesdays, etc. That way you get some variety but a good system too.
I know for many, Friday is a great day for Pizza. I think after this past Friday, the Fish Sticks are ready to declare Pizza Friday in our house.
I made a homemade whole wheat pizza crust - a new for us but it seemed a big hit. I used my new mini skillets (that actually were meant for large cookies).
I spread the bar with toppings and sauce. The sauce is so easy. It's only a small can of tomato paste with 1/2 cup of water and spices like oregano, basil, onion powder and garlic powder. Perfect and so easy.
The Fish Sticks made their way through the line, piling on the toppings just like they like it and I put them in the oven for about 10 minutes.
With the leftover dough, I made a large supreme for My Man and me. So easy and I just used what we had on hand (other than purchasing pepperonis). Top off with a Red Box and ice cream and you've made a super fun family memory!
Let's do this at the lake house! Seems easy, was it?
ReplyDeleteFun! We used to have pizza fridays until the kids got it at school..... Z asked if we could start it up during the summer. Growing up my parents would do this every so often. It was a blast to make our own. So now I am curious, where did you get the mini skillets?
ReplyDeleteYes, it was easy. My Man requested "no broccoli" next time. :)
ReplyDeleteI got the mini skillets at Outdoors. They came with a chocolate chip cookie mix too. I keep forgetting I have them. They also came with little handle pot holders which are great but don't cook with them. Tried that and it lit on fire. :)