Sunday, August 12, 2012

Couponing Can Build Community

I grew up in a big city.  When I got married, I went to the same Kroger every week.  I thought maybe one day someone would notice me as a regular and call me by name, just like in Mayberry, but it never happened.

When I moved to my small community 10 years ago, I went to the drive-through of the bank.  The teller said, "Hey, your husband just came through a minute ago," and then called me by name.  I had to pick my jaw off the floor of my car!  How did she know?  Well, the same teller still knows me and gives me 12 green apple lollipops (2 for each Fish Stick) every time I drive through her window.  I LOVE IT!!!  There's just something wonderful about feeling a part of a small community.

As a couponer, I visit the same Walgreens and CVS just about every week.  Sometimes I will go to other ones that I pass on errands, but for the most part, they see me coming every Wednesday.  I noticed that my CVS manager hasn't been at my store this summer.  I saw him from a distance with his family at Chick Fila on August 1st though.

My Little Guy needed his passport renewed (We keep all Fish Stick passports updated.) and I had to drive to Nashville in an area of town where I rarely go so I could take care of it at this particular post office that does passports.  I ran into the local CVS there to have his passport photo made.  There was my old CVS manager.  I told him I missed him and asked him if he got transferred.  He did, and now drove a long distance to this new store.  Then, without warning, he shared with me something tender that brought tears to my eyes.  His 13 year old son (same age as my son) was diagnosed with cancer on July 3 and it's aggressive.  I told him I would pray for them and when I got home, I looked up their CaringBridge site.  You can see their story here.  I didn't know that they knew the Lord until I read the posts about their son.  So take a quick look at the site for me, say a prayer for healing for this young teenager and a prayer for Carl and Liberty as they endure a trial that I pray I never will be asked to endure as a parent.

As silly as it sounds, being a regular shopper, in my case through couponing, can be a blessing in ways you might not expect.  I know God orchestrated me to go to that CVS half way across town to spread the word about this young boy who needs our prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment