Monday, June 25, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

 I've never made my own laundry detergent but have read several blog posts about it and written down several recipes.  I have vowed to tried the Duggar's famous recipe one day but it seems too involved for me to tackle right now. 

Just recently I ran across a simple recipe that sounded do-able and so I tried it.  I can't remember whose blog I read it on or I would give them credit, but my disclaimer is I am only a copier of good ideas and this is one of them.  Sorry for not giving credit due.

BEWARE:  The grated Ivory soap in the food processor looks very similar to shredded mozzarella cheese, but doesn't taste near as good.  Just ask my oldest Fish Stick.  Poor guy.  I guess that's what you get for snitchin'. 

Homemade Laundry Detergent
4 bars Ivory soap, grated
1 Box Borax
1 Box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
a few drops of essential oils (optional)

Mix together and store in airtight container.  
Use 3 Tb. per load (I use 1/4 c.)
So far I've been pleased with the cleanliness of the laundry and haven't found anything undesirable about the detergent.  The blog also mentioned putting 1/4 c. vinegar in a Downy fabric softener ball to use as a fabric softener but I haven't tried that yet.  Anyone else ever tried homemade detergent?

4 comments:

  1. I have made my own for several years... a huge money saver!!! Mine is liquid using washing soda, borax, and felz-naptha bar soap. I make enough at a time to last about 4 months.
    I have tried fabric softener, but seemed to have alot of waste with it, so I have not tried it again. I think it was liquid downy diluted with water. Dip in a sponge and squeeze, then throw in dryer like a sheet. I always thought I had more to wash off my hands than was in the sponge.
    I love the detergent though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the Duggar liquid recipe for HE machines. I do really like it but I feel like I need to treat stains more? Maybe my kids are just messier these days, haha! I'm happy enough with how much money I'm saving that I'm going to keep it up. I just keep a bottle of shout handy before I throw the laundry in.

    And I use straight vinegar as fabric softener. It keeps everything soft, clean and you totally don't smell the vinegar.

    Just saw your post about the detergent you got with the sales/coupons! That's impressive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make my own most of the time. I have used the powder and liquid versions. I have not tried this recipe, but it looks easier than the one that uses fels naptha. I don't like the smell of the FN soap. Ivory I can handle. I also use vinegar... I love the results. It also doesn't coat your towels like fabric softener does, just leaves them soft naturally. I did find a recipe for using suave conditioner with the vinegar and it smells much better. I pinned it on pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make my own most of the time. I have used the powder and liquid versions. I have not tried this recipe, but it looks easier than the one that uses fels naptha. I don't like the smell of the FN soap. Ivory I can handle. I also use vinegar... I love the results. It also doesn't coat your towels like fabric softener does, just leaves them soft naturally. I did find a recipe for using suave conditioner with the vinegar and it smells much better. I pinned it on pinterest.

    ReplyDelete