Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Homemade Granola Bars

 Have any of you noticed that packaged granola bars are getting smaller?  Not to mention, less healthy?  I have been making homemade granola bars for years.  They are easy to make.  A 9x13 makes more than a box of granola bars.  They are filling and they are healthy.  And the Fish Sticks love them.  So do their friends because folks ask me all the time for the recipe.

I have tried many, many recipes for homemade granola bars over the years.  Some ultra healthy, some not so healthy and some that tasted like cardboard.  My tried and true recipe is the one my mom made for us all the time growing up.  It's kind of a 2 step recipe but easy to make.

First you make a batch of the Granola Mix:  (I mix mine up in a gallon Ziploc bag.)
4 c. rolled oats
1 c. coconut
3/4 c. wheat germ (I substitute whatever I have on hand like ground flax seed, oat bran, etc.)
3/4 c. almonds
2/3 c. brown sugar (can substitute sucanat if you prefer)
optional 1/2 c. dry milk

Granola Bars
5 1/2 cup granola mix (above)
1/2 c. brown sugar/sucanat
1/2 c. honey
1/2 tsp. almond OR vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
12 Tb melted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
optional 1/2 c. peanut butter
optional 1/2 - 1 cup chocolate chips

Mix honey, extract, salt and butter (and peanut butter if you like).  Add to mix, sugar and granola mix in large bowl and mix well until dry ingredients are coated.  Press into greased 9x13 pan and bake for 15-20 minutes on 350.  Before cooled, you can sprinkle chocolate chips over top and spread when melted to form a coat or just leave them as is.  I have also tried mixing the chocolate chips in the bars and that is good too.  Makes 18 bars.  Wrap individually or serve from pan.  If they are crumbly, put in fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment