Last week Aldi had Vidalia onions for 49 cents a bag. In my family growing up, Vadalia onions are something to be loved. My Man said we thought they were candy. Maybe not candy, but close. They are so yummy. I hooked My Man up to seeing the love of Vadalias years ago when I started roasting them in the oven. You start by slicing them a little like a Bloomin' Onion. Make pie cuts but don't go all the way down.
Put a pat of butter on the top and fold up in foil. Place on the rack in the oven that is preheated for 350. Bake until soft. My home oven took about 30 minutes but the lake house oven took longer. Make sure they are good and soft when you eat them. Crunchy isn't as good.
The Fish Sticks were very apprehensive about eating an onion. Being a good Mama, I FORCED them to each take one bite. Let's just say that 4 whole onions wasn't near enough for this crew. Next time, I made 8 and it was perfect. Even if you aren't an onion fan, try it. You might be surprised at how much it tastes like candy...or just a really good side dish :)
Sounds yummy! Can't wait to try it!
ReplyDelete