Saturday, May 26, 2012

Roasted Chick Peas

I am always on the look out for healthy snacks that are filling and not too costly for the Fish Sticks.  It seems that crackers, chips and store-bought granola bars are the easy thing to throw their way but processed is not the direction I want to go too often.

I saw on someone's blog (totally forgot where) to roast chick peas/garbanzo beans.  I bought a gallon of them dried because dried is the cheapest way to get them.  Canned would work also and be quicker.  I soaked them overnight in my crock pot.  Filled it with water in the morning and cooked them on low until they were soft.  I drained them well, blotted them with a towel and drizzled olive oil on them lightly to coat.  I then spread them on a cookie sheet (single layer) that had been sprayed with cooking spray.  I sprinkled them with sea salt (although you could mix it up by using other seasonings like paprika, seasoned salt, cayenne, cumin, garlic salt, etc.) and put them in the oven on 450.  Bake for 30-40 minutes, keeping an eye on them and stirring them up a bit so the bottoms get crunchy too, but don't burn.  Cool and store in an air tight container.

The Fish Sticks loved them and they were a great snack to throw in the car and take to a ball game or practice!

1 comment: