It seems like it's been much longer than 10 days since we started eating only real foods. I will admit that once or twice for the sake of convenience, I had to throw out a few processed things to my family. This week the $2 Wacky Pack at Sonic sounded pretty good to 2 little Fish Sticks who had been shopping with their Mama all morning.
Here's some of my feedback in bullet points thus far:
** It does require a bit more planning - especially for breakfast. I've been spending time in the evening throwing together muffins, biscuits, etc.
** Packed lunches are the biggest challenge. My Fish Sticks say they miss the more snacky things like chips or pretzels. They miss the variety of items in their lunch boxes also.
** Suppers haven't changed much at all. Some things have made it better like homemade salad dressing and fresh parmesan instead of processed.
** Breakfast is so much more healthy. I have been making 1/2 gallon of homemade crockpot yogurt every other day to keep up with their yogurt intake. We've been making homemade granola and eating them together with berries or fresh fruit.
** Natural sweeteners taste just as good as processed and in moderation are tons better for us.
So far, no regrets from this Mama. I can already see some permanent changes that I will make after my challenge is over. Anyone else doing this and loving or hating it? Any drop outs?
What is your yogurt crockpot recipe!?
ReplyDeleteI use the recipe on Faithful Provisions. I've seen that one of my crockpots that gets really hot makes it more runny and a bit slimy consistency. My other crockpot that doesn't heat up as well makes it perfect. My kids are devouring it!!! It's so good for them too.
ReplyDeleteCassie, I've got to stop reading your blogs because I'm getting a bit overwhelmed! :) I am gradually going this route--real foods, but have not gone "cold turkey." Didn't know you were doing this, but will consider replacing "real" food with processed more and more. It is challenging and for sure takes planning. I've been making bread for a while now and my family loves that! Am interested in the yogurt recipe. I've stopped buying so many boxed items at the grocery store and am trying to keep stocked with basics and do more cooking from scratch. I run out of ideas quickly, though. Thanks for the challenge!
ReplyDelete