Saturday, July 14, 2012

Tincture 101

 I've already told you that I tend to be an herbal nut.  I started researching herbs 10 years ago and have loved using them ever since.  When I first started using herbs, I didn't even know what a tincture was, but this post is Tincture Making 101.  It's really easy to do and a great way to get the nutrients of herbs without much trouble or cost.

My Man has a stressful job.  When his job is busy and his mind in cranking with numbers, appointments, schedules and punch lists, he has trouble settling down at night no matter how exhausted he might be.  I started making a sleeping tincture years ago because drinking a cup of hot sleepy time tea didn't suit him well.

I purchased my herbs from the Bulk Herb Store and still have found that their prices are the best hands down.  You can find their button on my family blog if you want to see what they have.  You can also do a search on their site to find helpful tips and articles for using herbs.  It's a great resource.  I purchase the sleepy time mixture of herbs from them that makes a great tasting tea also.

A tincture is a concentrated liquid form of herbal medicine.  They can be made with consumable alcohol or vegetable glycerin.  I like to use a mixture of both.  

Alcohol is the most effective way to draw out the important properties of herbs and it has a long shelf life.  Fill a quart jar one-third to half full of herbs.  Add about 1/2 cup of very hot water.  Fill to the top with vodka (It's cheap and odorless).  Store for 3 weeks in a cool, dry place (I use my pantry) and shake daily.  Vinegar can be used instead of alcohol but doesn't draw out the herbal properties as well.
Glycerin has a sweet taste and is an alcohol-free alternative without affecting blood-sugar levels.  I get mine by the gallon from Azure Standard whom is now delivering by truck to the middle TN area.  It is much cheaper than buying from your local pharmacy, even when I had to pay shipping costs. 

I place my herbs in the crock pot just to cover the bottom.  Add about 1 cup of boiling or hot water.  Fill the crock pot half full of glycerin and set on the lowest setting for 3 days.  My low setting gets it too hot so I just place it on warm and that works much better.

When they are both ready, strain using a t-shirt or cheesecloth.  Mix the products together and store in a dark bottle.  I like to use medicine bottles.  My pharmacy usually gives them to me free.  Store in a cool, dry place.
My son keeps a bottle by his bedside and so does My Man.  The dose is 1-2 tsp., but a swig works well too. 

Sleepy Time has passionflower that calms a busy mind.  It has chamomile that calms, relaxes and has a sweet, mellow flavor.  Oatstraw relaxes the muscles.  Peppermint or spearmint adds flavor, aids in digestion and relaxes muscles.  If you don't like the taste of the tincture, like one of my Fish Sticks, add it to a glass of milk or a cup of water to dilute it more.  It's great for the whole family!

No comments:

Post a Comment