Saturday, July 7, 2012

Refrigerator Pickles

 We have cucumbers out the ears.  I don't know why I continue to plant too many cucumbers but it happened once again.  I thought I planted half what I did last year, but my crop must have doubled itself.  Last year we tried selling them in front of our house.  After they didn't go fast enough, we tried giving them away.  Still not enough takers.

Grandma gave me a great recipe for pickles and I don't have to can them.  I still have lots of jars from last  year so this was the perfect recipe for us.  A little bit sour.  A little bit sweet.  And very simple to make.

Refrigerator Pickles

Slice 8 qts. of cucumbers thinly (8 cups).  Thinly slice 1 onion.  Sprinkle with 4 Tb. canning salt and stir well.  (I didn't have canning salt and used sea salt instead).  Let sit 2 hours.  Boil 2 cups vinegar and dissolve 2 cups sugar in vinegar.  Let cool.  Pour over cucumbers and store in refrigerator.
 These keep in the fridge for a few months and are so good, refreshing and crispy.

2 comments:

  1. I'll always take more if you need to get rid of them!

    And I'm glad you posted this recipe. I thought they were super yummy... and so did Micah. ;) Maybe you could sell batches of your refrigerator pickles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're always open to more veggies! Let me know if you are looking for somewhere to give your cukes:)

    ReplyDelete