Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Joys of Jello Remembered

Do any of you have grandmas like mine who used to serve Jello several times a week?
I think we've forgotten the joys of Jello.

(Watch it wiggle.  See it jiggle.  Cool and fruity.  Jello Brand gelatin.)  Sing with me.

Last week I made Mandarin Orange Jello for the Fish Sticks for snack and they loved it.  Can you imagine how much they would have loved it more if I had added a dollup of whipped cream on the top like my Mimi used to?


 Anyone have one of these vintage Jello recipe books like me?  I love looking through this thing and laughing at what a hit gelatin used to be.
 Anyone remember the famous Tupperware Jello molds?  Do any of these desserts look familiar?  They are screaming church potluck to me.  They were a favorite of mine for sure.
These were the ones that totally crack me up. I love to show the Fish Sticks these photos.  Shrimp inside Jello as an appetizer?  Vegetable trio...Jello with celery, carrots, apples.  Yep, I remember eating them all.  Not necessarily enjoying them all because who wants Jello with vegetables when you can have Jello with whipped cream.

So I encourage you today.  Share some Jello knowledge with your kids.  Tell them of a day when you ate celery and parsley in your Jello.  Then make a dish of yummy Jello with them.  One of my Fish Sticks favorite Jello dishes is when we make all 6 colors of the rainbow and make a plate with a scoop of each and a whipped cream cloud!  Can't beat that!

1 comment: