Saturday, February 23, 2013

Ministry Challenge

I told you in January that I had a ministry opportunity to share with you and here it is.

You know I recently read "7" by Jen Hatmaker and then "Crazy Love" by Frances Chan.  Both are super challenging books that have potential to either rock your world or for you to ignore.  Knowledge is dangerous, ladies.

So after reading those books I had to ask myself, "What am I doing?  Really, what am I doing to impact eternity, to love God more and to live out what He really intended the church to do?"  It's more than just being a Christian mom and wife.  It's intentional.  As I love Jesus more, I see His heart and share His heart more.  Our adoption has become part of that outflow of His love in our lives.  What other ways can I love others because of my love for my Heavenly Father?

At the beginning of the year, Ruth's 2nd grade teacher sent home the idea to make "homeless care packages" and pass them out.  She sent a list of things for us to collect and the class bagged them up and sent one to each 2nd grader.

I hate to tell you that ours stayed in our van from September until Dec. 19. when we saw a homeless man on the way to the airport when we were heading to Turkey.  Our county is a wealthy one and homeless people are not seen often.  I know that they are here, just not a daily thing we encounter.

Recently I became aware that the people who sell newspapers on the street corners are poor and allowed to keep any excess money that people give them when buying the publication.  Some of them even write articles for the publication.  I respect that they are looking for ways to raise money and hold jobs - even undesirable jobs like standing on a cold street corner all day.  I see then each time I go to town.

We also have friends who live right in the middle of Nashville who I am sure would be happy to pass some out for us.  (Jen, hope you are up for this!)

I pinned this idea on Pinterest if you want to check it out also under Ministry.

Here's my challenge to you.  I would love for you to join me on this opportunity.  Let's make 5 bags at a time and try to pass them out in 1 month.  If 5 is too ambitious, then set a goal for yourself.

I decided to put mine in denim bags that I am sewing out of excess panels that have been sitting in my closet for years.  That way they can reuse them, but gallon Ziplocs are sufficient or reuseable shopping bags.

Here's what I am putting in mine:
I found hats and gloves on 75% clearance at CVS this week.  They came to about 95 cents each.
I got wet wipes, travel tissue and peanuts at Dollar Tree.

I got peanut butter crackers at Aldi, soap, Slim Jims, toothbrushes and Bibles at Dollar Tree and hand sanitizer at CVS (sorry for the upside down phone photo).  I got small water bottles at Aldi.

I put all these things into one bag with a deoderant and toothpaste from my couponing stash.  I also put in 2 gospel tracts. 

Some other ideas would be a fast food gift card for $5, gum, mints, chapstick (oops - I forgot that but will add that to my bag too because I bought some just for this.), an Evangecube, a Bible comic book (I plan to get some of these from No Greater Joy ministries, granola bar or protein bar,....

So who's in?  Who wants to try to show Christ's love by such a simple thing as this?  I know some of you might be on a tight budget.  We are too, but these are things I collected as I was out shopping, keeping an eye out for sales and deals.

1 comment:

  1. I just recently pinned this idea on pinterest, and discussed with our crew putting these together to keep in the car...I think it's one of the best practical family ideas I've seen in a while! Love that she sent home for the class to do this!

    ReplyDelete