This post is about fashion. Take note, because it will probably be the only post I ever write on fashion, because fashion is not my expertise. When my little sis was here, I asked her for help. I needed to clean out and simplify my closet and I wanted her to help me with some fashion advice.
Funny thing is that when I was in high school and college, my sis looked to me for fashion advice. Now the roles have flip flopped.
Six years ago when I sewed window treatments and home decor as a side business, I worked alongside a couple of decorators. Sometimes in exchange for services, they would help me decorate and I would sew for them. I loved doing this because I get in a rut. I always hang the same picture above the couch. I always put the same rug in the same room. I put the same nick nacks in the same arrangement. By having a decorator come in, they took what I had, rearranged it for me and then made suggestions of what I could add when my budget aloud. It was so refreshing to see things put in ways I never would have thought of.
This is what I wanted my sister to do to my closet. I'm not really emotionally attached to any of my things and it doesn't hurt my feelings if she said "no" to my favorite outfit.
First we pulled out all the things I didn't wear. The things that were too small that I was convinced I would fit into one day. The things that really did nothing for my figure. The things that I loved but had tiny holes in it or stains. Then she pulled out the things that were just in the "no" category. Then she took what I had and started taking photos of possible ensembles. I was really surprised at some of the things she came up with and she heard me say over and over, "Are you sure?? Really?".
Here's some of her bullet points:
1. boots and slip ons
2. skinny jeans and leggings
3. bright colors mixed and matched
4. brightly colored scarves
5. things don't have to match
6. belt it on the outside (even layers)
7. tuck it
8. layer, layer, layer
9. seasonal clothes don't matter i.e. wear winter boots with summer dress and cardigan
I'm a boot girl so boots were no problem. Slip ons will be on my wish list. Skinny jeans and leggings, I can do and have a couple, but sure love my boot cut jeans. I think I could sleep in them. Bright colors I've got. Scarves...I need a few. I'm pretty basic neutrals with those. Not matching? That will take some getting used to. Belt it? YIKES! I've never had an hour glass figure and really don't after birthing 6 children. I kept telling her it made me shaped like a potato. Tuck it? Haven't done that in years. I love to hide the flab, not accent it.
It was fun and it has been challenging for me. Day one I wore my purple sweater with my green shirt, skinny jeans and Uggs and 3 strangers complimented me. HEY! Maybe I can do this. Today is my first "belt it" try with some mismatched colors. It feels weird and I'm not so sure about it. Wanna see? I took this photo in the Target family bathroom.
And the result. I've simplified my closet to some degree and that feels good. Goodwill got a big bag of the yuck clothes and now I still have a stack on my floor. Anyone want any hand-me-downs? I'd love to give them to a friend (or stranger for that matter). Most are size 8, a few size 6, and most all mediums. If I box them up and mail, just pay for shipping. So anyone want them? If so, leave me a comment. Otherwise, I will drop off at Goodwill.
Wow, Cassie! I wish Rachel would come do the same for me! :) I, too, am quite comfy in my bootcut jeans and have quite a few. I'm even thinking of printing out her 9 tips. :) I'm worse than you when it comes to fashion, no doubt!! Lol! So glad I found this blog of yours. . .still looking for your granola recipe, though!!
ReplyDelete