Thursday, August 8, 2013

Zaycon Meats

A couple of years ago, I read a blog post about a company called Zaycon Foods.  They provide quality meats at excellent prices in bulk.  I checked to see if they made deliveries in my area and they did not, so I signed up to be notified if they were to ever head this way.

Last year I received word that my town would now have drop offs.  Every couple of months, Zaycon notifies me through email of the meat sale that they will be running.  You purchase on line in large quantities (usually about 40 lbs. or so) and then they let you know when and where the pick up will be. 

This morning I got 93% lean ground beef.  The cattle were grass fed until a few weeks before slaughter and then given corn to fatten a little bit.  I paid $3.49 per pound.

So far, I have purchased boneless, skinless chicken breasts, bacon, spiral ham, breakfast sausage links and now ground beef.  I have been so pleased.  I love keeping my freezer stocked with quality meats at reasonable prices.  It helps me not have to constantly be looking for sales at my local grocery stores. 

The pick-ups are very convenient.  Mine is in a church parking lot in town.  The pick-up time is a 45 minute range.  I meet a refrigerated truck, they check their iPad for my order and load up my van.  It's so simple.  The meat is cold and not frozen, which allows me to freeze it in smaller portions when I get home.  This is one of the 3 food co-ops that I am involved in.  I can't wait to share the others with you.  Check out Zaycon and see if they are available in your area too!
I got 4 of these in my box.  Each is 10 lbs. of ground beef

Before freezing, I cut each log into 1 lb. (approximately) sections and put in freezer bags.

5 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! I will try them! Lots of years ago I had something kind of similar that I did for a while and I really enjoyed it. I wonder if this is just rural areas? I lived in a rural area at the time I used a small coop.

    Gosh, I know what you mean about constantly searching for not only good prices but quality meat at reasonable prices.

    Thanks so much for sharing this! Please do share more info like this, if you want to.

    Melanie Keffer (aka Mel)
    Olive Branch, MS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie, if you want to share your referral number, I will be happy to use it when I purchase. Also noticed that they "sell out." Your readers might want to consider that when contemplating a purchase.

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, I would love for you use my referral - Here's the link...
    https://www.zayconfoods.com/refer/zf114682

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is the chicken and beef compared to buying grass fed at the grocery store? We were contemplating buying 1/4 cow, but this seems like a pretty good option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is from their web site. "We purchase our chicken from the highest quality farms and processors in the country. Our chicken typically originates from processing facilities in southern and midwest states. Our chicken is 100% natural chicken with no added hormones, additives or artificial ingredients." While this is not totally grass fed, farm raised like what you are talking about, in my opinion it is still better than the regular grocery store meats. It's kind of an in-between grade. I can't afford the meats straight from the farm that are organic and grass fed right now but my budget sure can handle the middle grade of Zaycon.

      Delete